Photocells have been the number 1 gate safety device since the industry began. Very simply one side fires an infrared beam at a detector which makes a NC (Normally Closed) circuit. When someone or something crosses the beam, the circuit is broken and the gate system reacts in the appropriate way.
There are 100s of different products on the market but we are going to talk about just a few of them here. We are going to look at what level of safety you can achieve with them and where they are most effective.
Light curtains are not new to the market but they are less common; two rows of LED infrared lights fire in sequence to cover an entrance way. These systems are perfect for fast moving gates or very large heavy gates, where you do not want the gate to ever come into contact with an obstruction such as a vehicle or pedestrian.
This is the only type of photocell which can pass current health and safety regulations on its own as the whole entrance is covered, making it impossible to reach the gate without triggering the safety device.
- Light curtains can be any height up to approximately 2.5m
- A 10m range version and 14m range version are available
- The only fully certified device that can be used in isolation to make a gate safe and compliant
KEY FT32 Photocell
This can be thought of as your standard photocell, both sides are powered and your gate system will have a good first line of safety. However there are problems with this system. Poor fitting location could mean that people and vehicles are missed. One of the problems with photocells is that the height is set to suit standard vehicles and the beams can miss trailers or high lorries.
- Breaking the Infra-red beam triggers safety device
- 15 meter range
- NC fail safe switch for bullet proof reliability & and NO contact to act as a start input to activate gates
- Simple to add to existing systems with straight forward wiring
Photo 60 – Anti Vandal Photocell
The Photo 60 works in exactly the same way as a standard photocell but has a hardened aluminium outer casing. Again we would only recommend using this as a secondary safety device, to be used along side safety edges or a light curtain.
- Non contact induction detector
- Robust aluminium outer casing can take a lot of damage. Watch the video demonstration too see how robust they are
- Rotate detector eyes within the photocell housing for easy alignment and installation
KEY FT42 Battery Photocells
Battery Photocells provide flexibility allowing for photocells to be fitted to any system without the need to lay a cable.
- Battery transmitter and wired receiver
- 8 meter range
- 2 year battery life
We have a number of other photocells available including; multi channel battery photocells, slim line vandal resistant photocells, long range reflective photocells and small battery powered vandal resistant versions